Window to the Legislation – Membership Marks Handbook – Transcript
Hello, I’m Chloe Hecht, Senior Counsel for the Nationwide Affiliation of REALTORS®. We’re excited to share that NAR launched a brand new Membership Marks Handbook particularly geared to assist members, which extra clearly and concisely explains NAR’s REALTOR® Trademark Guidelines. In honor of the brand new Handbook, this episode of Window to the legislation opinions NAR’s most important Trademark Guidelines and the best way to keep away from widespread misuses.
The time period REALTOR® has one that means solely: member of the Nationwide Affiliation of REALTORS®. Coined in 1915, the REALTOR® Marks have conveyed to customers for over 100 years that members of NAR abide by NAR’s strict Code of Ethics, and are dedicated to purchasers, the general public and different actual property professionals in addition to to conducting enterprise with integrity.
NAR’s trademark guidelines are designed to guard and promote the that means of the REALTOR® Marks, and by becoming a member of NAR, members comply with adjust to NAR’s trademark guidelines. Take into account the next when utilizing the REALTOR® Marks.
- Members are licensed to make use of the Marks in reference to their private title and actual property enterprise title. The Marks should be separated from a reputation with punctuation, akin to a comma or hyphen.
- The Marks ought to seem in all uppercase letters with the trademark registration image. If that formatting will not be attainable for some cause, please use one among these variations. [Onscreen: display Realtor® and REALTOR] – The REALTOR® Marks must not ever be modified with descriptive wording, together with geographic descriptors, adjectives, and phrases akin to “my” “your” and “the.”
- The REALTOR® Marks should solely be used to consult with membership in NAR – and by no means as an alternative choice to an occupation, akin to actual property agent, dealer or the like. Use the Member Check to find out in case your use is correct by changing “REALTOR®” with “member” and figuring out objectively whether or not the use refers to membership.
I additionally need to spotlight among the most important areas NAR receives questions from members concerning use of the Marks:
- First, when utilizing the marks in domains, e-mail addresses, and usernames, akin to social media usernames, these makes use of should adjust to NAR’s trademark guidelines with two notable exceptions: One, on this occasion, it’s permissible for the Marks to seem in all lowercase letters as a result of domains, e-mail addresses and usernames don’t usually permit for capitalization. Two, separating punctuation and the trademark registration image could also be omitted as a result of such formatting can be usually not obtainable in domains, e-mail addresses and usernames.
- Second, don’t embrace the REALTOR® Marks in enterprise names. Members are licensed to make use of the Marks in reference to enterprise names however not in enterprise names. Meaning while you register your online business title with the suitable state authority, your online business title should not embrace the REALTOR® Marks. For instance, a member could register the enterprise title West Coast Realty, after which use the REALTOR® Marks with that enterprise title like this West Coast Realty, REALTORS in enterprise supplies and promoting.
Try the up to date Membership Marks Handbook for Members for extra data, assets and FAQs. Thanks for watching this episode of Window to the Legislation!